The Eco-Dome is a small home design of approximately 400 square feet (40 sq. meters) interior space. It consists of a large central dome, surrounded by four smaller niches and a wind-scoop, in a clover leaf pattern.
Learning and building an Eco-Dome is the next stage after building a small emergency shelter and provides hands-on learning experience in the essential aspects of Superadobe construction. It's small size of approximately 400 square feet (interior space), makes it a manageable structure for the first time owner builder.
The finished "very small house" is self-contained and can become a small guest house, studio apartment, or be the first step in a clustered design for community use in an Eco-Village of vaults and domes.
Some features of the Eco-Dome include:
- Built from local earth-filled Superadobe coils (earth stabilized with cement or lime).
- Tree free.
- Maximum use of space through alternative options. The main dome and four niches, depending on local code approval, can function as:
- main living room, entrance hall, kitchen, bathroom, bedroom (called "bed-womb" because of it's small, organic form!)
- living room, entrance hall, and three bed-rooms.
- living room, entrance hall, two bedrooms, and a bathroom.
- Self-contained single unit (potential for a guest house or studio apartment) or double unit (larger family residence).
- Can be repeated and joined together to form larger homes and courtyard houses.
- Can be built by a team of 3-5 persons.
- Designed with the sun, shade and wind for passive cooling and heating.
- Wind-scoop can be combined with a rated furnace unit, depending on local code approval. Solar energy and radiant heating may be incorporated.
- Interior furniture can be built-in with same material.
The Blueprints for this design have been previously approved and built in Hesperia City and San Bernardino County, California, as well as other regions nationally and internationally.
- The Eco-Dome construction kit package (single unit) includes:documentary step-by-step DVD "Eco-Dome, building a small home", construction documents (mini-version, including the construction specification), unfilled Superadobe roll/earth-bags, educational book on Superadobe construction entitled "Sandbag Shelter and Eco-Village".
- The full Eco-Dome blueprint package (double unit) includes:construction document blueprints, engineering calculations as permitted under the 1997 UBC / 2001 California Code, construction specification, title 24 energy calculations, and the engineering record. All plans are numbered. The above plans and materials are used in the Cal-Earth apprenticeship courses.